2020 finances dragged down by the three Cs: Christmas, Covid and Credit
New money management app HyperJar presses reset on Britain's finances ...
HyperJar founder and CEO, Mat Megens, discusses how Brits can re-organise their money
At the end of what has been one of the most challenging years to date, national research has found that the pandemic has had a devastating effect on Britain’s finances, with 19% confessing that they are in their worst financial position ever. A further 45% do not have a budget in place for their festive shopping this year, despite Brits spending £285 each on Christmas presents.
With 2020’s shattering impact on our national and personal finances, many of us now acknowledge need to be better with our money next year. However, with this resolution comes the realisation that the current banking system does not do enough to help us achieve our goals, as 70% feel that their bank doesn’t help them budget or plan their finances.
Highlighting the UK’s money challenges, the smart spending app HyperJar unveils in new national research that pre-Covid 26% of us had no emergency financial buffer. One consequence of the pandemic is that 19% of the population admit to having no savings left at all.
With rumours of negative interest rates still circulating, there are few options available that encourage saving and protect consumer spending power. HyperJar provides a solution to both challenges.
Key Research Statistics*:
- 19% (8,921,000) agree that, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, they are in their worst financial position ever
- 70% (31,500,000) say that their bank doesn’t help them budget and plan day to day finances
- 52% (25,093,000) agree that the current banking structure leaves them with no incentive to save
- 47% (18,981,000) agree that since the pandemic, they now acknowledge the importance of tackling bad financial habits
- 19% (8,737,000) report that the fallout from Covid-19 has left them with no savings at all
- 26% (12,522,000) say that, even before Covid-19, they had no savings or emergency buffer
- 26% (12,715,000) admit to having no emergency funds to fall back in the future
- 18% (8,594,000) believe their finances are the least organised part of their life
By using HyperJar, account holders who choose to commit money ahead of spending with HyperJar’s partner brands get a 4.8% Annual Growth Rate on every penny, calculated and added daily. This locked-in money must be spent with the business it is committed to, but there is no time limit and the balance keeps growing for up to 12 months.
The app is now expanding its partner base to include SMEs, with local pubs, cafes, kids’ centres, speciality food shops and restaurants starting to join the app over the next few months.
HyperJar can be downloaded now from the App Store and Google Play Store. Account holders must be 18+ and a UK resident.
Mat Megens, founder and CEO at HyperJar, offers an insight into how HyperJar can help change the way we spend.
“There’s been a hostile environment for saving and planning for years, and the gravitational pull of easy credit has never been stronger. A new way for people to budget and spend well is overdue.
The effectiveness of splitting out budgets and naming savings goals is well known, and our early customers tell us that adding a fraction more friction to their spending – taking a bit of time to think about what they want to spend in future – works. Visualising and allocating their money like this gives them clarity, control and confidence.”
For more information visit: hyperjar.com
- Merchants around the globe increase spend to tackle E-commerce fraud crisisBusinesses worldwide plan to significantly increase the money they spend on fighting fraud, according to new research from Ravelin. Globally 75% of merchants polled say they will increase their spending on fraud, with one in five saying they expect spending to increase by 20% or … Read more
- Advancements in AI: Shaping the FutureArtificial Intelligence (AI) has come a long way since its inception, and the pace of advancements in this field continues to accelerate. These developments have profound implications for numerous industries and aspects of daily life. In this article, we explore some of the most exciting … Read more
- The Imperative of AI Analytics: Shaping Informed Decision-MakingIn today’s data-driven world, the importance of AI analytics cannot be overstated. Artificial Intelligence (AI) analytics represents a powerful marriage of AI and data analysis, offering organisations and individuals the tools to extract meaningful insights from vast and complex datasets. In this article, we explore … Read more
- AI Robotics: Shaping the Future of AutomationArtificial Intelligence (AI) and robotics are two transformative technologies that, when combined, have the potential to revolutionise numerous industries and aspects of our daily lives. In this article, we will explore the exciting world of AI robotics, its current state, applications, and the impact it … Read more
- Personalisation of AI: Creating Tailored Experiences for Every UserArtificial Intelligence (AI) has ushered in an era of unprecedented personalisation, transforming how we interact with technology, services, and content. Whether you’re shopping online, watching streaming videos, or using a virtual assistant, AI is at work, customising your experiences to align with your preferences and … Read more